CAL FIRE/San Luis Obispo County Fire and Morro Bay Fire Department responded at 6:35 last night to a recreational vehicle fire located just outside Morro Bay at the Rancho Colina Mobile Home Park in the 1000 block of Atascadero Road.
Firefighters arrived within minutes and reported smoke coming from inside the recreational vehicle. The recreational vehicle appeared to be used as a permanent residence. Bystanders had started fire suppression using garden hoses. A cat and dog were able to escape unharmed. A 73-year-old female occupant died of injuries sustained in the fire.
CAL FIRE investigators determined the fire started in the kitchen area. Two smoke alarms in the recreational vehicle were reported not to be in working order because of no batteries. Fire Chief Robert Lewin stated “Our firefighters mourn the loss of life and we remind people that working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are the most valuable items in any home; they will be your eyes, nose and ears and give your family the best chance to escape a burning home.”