Central Coast News Headlines

Mother And Six Children Escape Apartment Fire In SLO

A woman and her six children are safe and The American Red Cross is providing temporary housing after a fire early Thursday morning set thier apartment on Orcutt Road in San Luis Obispo on fire.

According to authorities a candle in a glass container in one of the children's bedrooms caused the blaze. The glass container cracked and the flame ignited the bedpost and bedding.

The family was asleep when the fire broke out, according to authorities, and narrowly escaped the blaze.  One of the children woke up and was able to alert the mother who was able to call for help.

There were no working smoke detectors inside the home.

Firefighters were able to control the blaze within 15 minutes of the first 911 call, according to the news release. There was no damage to neighboring apartments.

Scroll To Top