Morro Bay, CA — On Wednesday, at 4:28 in the afternoon, Morro Bay Police and Fire responded to a report of a gasoline explosion at 850 Napa Avenue Apt. A. Upon arrival it was discovered one male was injured and he was medically evacuated to Sierra Vista Regional Hospital. The man is currently being treated at a Fresno burn center.
The fire department, assisted by police, made entry and dealt with the fire that had ensued. During their efforts, officers observed hazardous chemicals that they believed were being used for the manufacture of illegal drugs. Because they were concerned for the safety of the residents of the adjoining apartments, as well as their own safety, the San Luis Obispo Sheriff’s Narcotics Team was called out to assist with the investigation and collection of the hazardous chemicals.
Police discovered a hash oil lab. It appears that hash oil was being manufactured in the duplex were the explosion occurred. Liquefied butane was being used to get resin from marijuana. It is believed that the butane gas sank to the floor and was ignited by a pilot light. The explosion blew out the windows of the residence.
No arrests have been made. The sheriff's narcotics team was asked to take over the investigation, which remains open.